Supplements for strongman
First off let me say that supplements are just that – a supplement. If your diet and training are not spot on then all your doing is pissing money down the toilet, literally. However, providing you use the right stuff, at the right time then they can significantly help your recovery.
I feel it’s important to state that none of the guys competing in any of the upcoming Strongman shows use, or have used steroids. Dave’s Gym is, by and large, a natural gym. For sure they’re will be some guys that use them, there are in every gym, but none of the staff or people representing Dave’s do. Fact.
I don’t want this post to be a steroid rant, I personaly stand firmly in the pro-choice camp, if you want to use them then go ahead, be my guest. I’m not judging, I’m just saying – I don’t.
One of the main advantages of anabolic steroids is that they really help you to recover fast from hard workouts, and the sooner you recover the sooner you can train hard again. It’s in the recovery from hard training that supplements can help quite a bit, a good diet will only take you so far, to take your recovery to the next level then you could do worse than try some of these:
- Protein – whey, not whey, isolate, conscentrate, micro-filter ion exchange with added unobtainium – it doesn’t matter. Just get 2 grams per kilo of bodytweight down you and let your digestive system sort the rest out.
- Creatine – don’t be fooled by all the advertising, it does not need to be combined with exotic and rare sugars from the far east nor does it need to be in any other form than monohydrate. Take 5-10 grams a day at anytime in the day.
- BCAAs – branch chain amino acids are the amino’s that your body can not manufacture by itself and, I find personally, really help with recovery. Take some before and after training, the more the better.
- Carbs – specifically in a simple form such as dextrose or glucose and taken during and after training. Go for 100-200 grams.
- EFAs – essential fatty acids. These are long chain fatty acids that have many beneifits including; reduced blood pressure and cholesterol, reduced inflammation, improved muscle function. They can also conserve carbs while, at the same time, burn body fat.
- Caffeine – take it before a workout and train harder, simple really.
There is other stuff out there, some of it works and some of it is bollocks. As a general rule in life if something seems to good to be true – it almost certainly is.
Yours still gently fizzing from all the caffeine,